Abbé Paul Irénée Couturier 1881-1953
Commemorative Conference at Woldingham School, 26th - 29th August 2003
The Ecumenical Society of the Blessed Virgin Mary will be arranging a Conference as a tribute to Paul Couturier, in particular to commemorate his hard work to promote ecumenical understanding between Catholics and Orthodox. The event will be a collaboration with the Society of St John Chrysostom (US website) and the Fellowship of St Alban & St Sergius.
- Paul Couturier : Anglican and Catholic Encounters Remembered
Canon Richard Rutt, former Anglican Bishop of Leicester, now a senior Catholic priest in the Diocese of Plymouth
- The Abbé and the Reverend Henry Fynes-Clinton of the Church of St Magnus the Martyr in Early Ecumenical Relations
Fr John Salter, priest in the Melkite Patriarchate of Antioch, and President of the Anglican and Eastern Churches Association
- Evangelisation and Unity: The Significance of John Wesley
David Carter, Joint Methodist & Catholic Theological Commission (2003 is also the Tercentenary of the Birth of John Wesley)
- Dialogue between the Orthodox and the Catholics of the Eastern Rite
Archimandrite Serge Kelleher, Dublin, editor of the Eastern Churches Journal
- Convergence between Evangelicals and pre-Reformation Churches
- An Anglican and a Catholic View of Mary 1686-1703: Two Tracts Compared
Peter Sibley, ESBVM Archivist
- Father Ignatius Spencer, 1789-1865: Remembering Another Pioneer
- Lutheran Ecumenical Engagements
The Revd Thomas Bruch, Lutheran Council of Great Britain
- The Diaconate as an Ecumenical Opportunity
The Revd Paul McPartlan, Professor of Dogmatic Theology, Heythrop College
- St Basil's House and the 'Invisible Monastery'
Joan Rutt, former Secretary of the Fellowship of St Alban & St Sergius
It took place at Woldingham School, a Catholic Secondary Independent School founded by the Society of the Sacred Heart, some of whose members made notable contributions to the foundation of the Ecumenical Society and to the cause of Christian Unity.
It is hoped that the proceedings of the Conference will be published by ESBVM.